Mendocino Coast

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 14, 2002
      This morning at 8:30 AM I found an adult Black-throated Sparrow. The bird was near the Westport Solid Waste & Recycling Center. Take the road at mile marker (Hiway 1) 77.71 just north of Westport. As of this morning there was a fire truck sitting in front of a locked gate. I saw the sparrow with a flock of White-crowned Sparrows in the roadway just to the east (just past) the gate.

      Also of interest was a Rock Wren at a Vista Point at mile marker 74.09 south of Westport. The bird was in the rock lined drainage channel on the southwest side of the parking area.

      At about 7:00 AM Toby Tobkin again saw the Magnolia Warbler in the Cypress tree near the beach at Glass Beach.

      Jerry White

    • grebeman2
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 23, 2003
        Birds of interest seen on a weekend trip to the coast follow:
        A Red Knot was at Virgin Creek Beach on Friday late afternoon.
        There was a Tennessee Warbler in a mixed flock of passerines at Wages
        Creek bridge on Highway 1 on Saturday. There was also 2 Ruby-crowned
        Kinglets and a Black-throated Gray Warbler.
        There were 2 Pectoral Sandpipers at the Westport Treatment Pond.
        Around mid-day on Saturday there were 2 Red Knots at Virgin Creek
        Beach.
        On Sunday there were 3 Wilson's Snipes at the Ledford House Restaurant
        pond. And there was a fly-over Ringed-Turtle Dove at the Mendocino
        Headlands. Jerry White
      • Jerry White
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 27, 2003
          Today at about 2:30 PM I found a Red-throated Pipit at Caspar Creek (John H. I tried your cell phone numerous times).
          The bird was with 5 American Pipits and provided excellent views for a large group of birders. It was still present at 4:00 pm when I left.
          Earlier in the day there was a Bobolink at the Westport Headlands park.
          A Greater White-Fronted Goose found yesterday was still at Lake Cleone.
          I was not able today to refind a Palm Warbler seen Wednesday and Friday by me and on Thursday by Toby T.
          This bird was in the area of the lone Cypress near Glass Beach. Jerry White

        • Jerry White
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 18, 2004
            The following is a list of the more interesting birds I recorded during a few days of birding on the Mendocino Coast.

            Baird's Sandpipers which are normally found along the coast this time of year in small numbers were seen at several locations (this seems unusual). There was one on Sunday near the mouth of the Garcia. There were 3 today at Virgin Creek and I saw 3 more at the Navarro River Mouth. Guy McCaskie had reported 5 from the Navarro on Monday.

            The two Eurasian Collard-Dove's were on Duxbury rd across from the Thompson's on Sunday at about 10AM.

            This morning there was a Semipalmated Sandpiper at Virgin Creek (at the beach). Jerry

          • Jerry White
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 14, 2004
              I just spent a few days birding along the coast. The weather was great but the birding was not so great. However I did find a few birds of interest.

              There were 2 Pectoral Sandpipers and a Pacific Golden-Plover at Virgin Creek on Monday October 11th.
              A MacGillivray's Warbler was at Chadbourne Gulch on Tuesday. The Lapland Longspur was at the Mendocino Headlands on
              Tuesday and was seen again today. On Tuesday I saw the leucistic Black Oystercatcher from the headlands.

              On Wednesday morning while standing on the bluffs on Lighthouse Rd near the entrance gate to the Pt. Arena Lighthouse I first heard and then saw a Lapland Longspur fly in from over the ocean. It landed briefly and then moved on. On Miner Hole Road there was a White-throated Sparrow and a somewhat late departing Warbling Vireo as well as large numbers of Pine Siskin.
              That same day on Pomo Lake Drive in the Irish Beach Subdivision there was a fly over light morph juvenile Ferruginous Hawk.
              At Pomo Lake itself I saw a Sora and heard a Virginia Rail.

              Red-breasted Nuthatch's were heard on three of the four days.

              Today there was a fly by White-winged Scoter at Laguna Pt. About 1pm today I found a Tropical Kingbird on Highway 1.
              The bird was on the utility wires on the west side of the road just south of the Salmon Creek bridge near MM 42.95.

              In Lake County later in the afternoon there was a White-throated Sparrow near the Rodman Slough levee. At the Kelsey Creek outlet there was flock of Greater White-fronted Geese. Jerry

            • grebeman2
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
                There were 2 Ruddy Turnstones at Virgin Creek Beach on Thursday July
                28th. A Lesser Yellowlegs was at Caspar Creek on Friday July 29th.
                I saw a total of 5 Long-billed Curlews. 3 were on the beach just north
                of the Garcia River mouth on July 29th. Another one was at Virgin Creek
                on Saturday and Sunday July 30th and 31st. A different bird was on the
                beach south of the 10 Mile River mouth on Saturday.
                Most of the peeps were Western Sandpipers. I had good looks at maybe 300
                birds but was not able to turn up a Semipalmated Sandpiper. JRW
              • Jerry White
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 28, 2005
                  The following birds were recorded on the coast the last week or so.

                  There was a flyover Long-billed Curlew at Alder Creek Beach on 8/23.
                  That same day there were 10 species of shorebirds at the Garcia River estuary; including 2 Ruddy Turnstones,2 Marbled Godwits and 8 Baird's Sandpipers.

                  On 8/24 there was a flyover Black-crowned Night-Heron at the Garcia River bridge on Highway 1 at dawn. At Lake Cleone late afternoon there were 2 Redheads (female type).

                  Today 8/28 near Juan Creek seen from Highway 1 there was an Elegant Tern and 2 Marbled Murrelets. An American Redstart (yellowstart-female ) was in a large mixed flock at Wages Creek on Highway 1. I recorded 3 Willow Flycatchers on the day.
                  A female or 1st winter male Yellow-headed Blackbird was on the roof line of a house in Ft. Bragg at 601 Stewart St. (cross street:Fir).
                  There is a bird feeding area (visible from Fir Street) in the yard at this residence. JRW

                • Jerry White
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 23, 2005
                    I spent yesterday birding the coastline, mainly in the southern part of the county.

                    The best bird of the day was a Sage Thrasher which was on Alder Creek Beach Road (north of Manchester) around 1:30 PM. It was about 6/10ths of a mile from hiway 1 working the fence line that separates the private lands from the state parks property.I watched it for almost 2 minutes before it disappeared over the hill to the west. There was also a Ferruginous Hawk and Say's Phoebe in this area.

                    In the morning just before sunrise there was a calling Northern Pygmy-Owl and a Western Screech-Owl at mile post 11 on Mountain View Road.

                    On Miner Hole Road I had a somewhat late Pacific-slope Flycatcher and a Nashville Warbler.

                    There was a Red-necked Grebe on the Navarro River. JRW

                  • Jerry White
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 12, 2005
                      Yesterday (Friday, November 11th) I found a Clay-colored Sparrow in with a large sparrow flock on Stoneboro Road near Manchester. The bird was in the vicinity of the small pond on the south side of the road not far from Highway 1.

                      At the Highway 1 bridge over the Garcia River there was a Eurasian Collared-Dove. This is the first time I have seen this species away from the Duxbury Road area.

                      Also yesterday Ed Pandolfino left a message that he found a Palm Warbler about 150 yards north of the bridge over Virgin Creek (Virgin Creek Beach area) . That was his 200th Mendocino County bird. JRW

                    • Jerry White
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
                        On Wednesday afternoon December 28th Art Morley, Nikki White and I saw the Swamp Sparrow at the Big River Marsh.
                        There were 2 Barn Swallows at Lake Cleone on Thursday the 29th.
                        A Bonaparte's Gull was on the ocean at Noyo on Saturday the 31st.

                        From Laguna Point I saw a Long-tailed Duck fly by with a flock of Surf Scoter's on the afternoon of December 31st. JRW

                      • white-jerry
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 15, 2008
                          Because of ideal weather conditions the last four days ; high overcast and light southerly winds; birding on the coast was very good.
                          I recorded 14 species of warblers. Highlights were:
                          MacGillvray's Warbler 9/15/08 (today) at Hardy Creek
                          Yellow-breasted Chat 9/15 at Chadbourne Gulch (on the east side of the highway)
                          Blackpoll Warbler 9/15 also at Chadbourne Gulch on the east side of the highway.
                          3 American Redstarts
                          9/12 on the south side of the Garcia River
                          9/13 at Usal
                          9/15 at Hardy Creek
                          Chestnut-sided Warbler 9/12 on Stonboro Rd
                          Magnolia Warbler 9/15 (thanks to Jim Havlena) on the train tracks in Ft Bragg with a group of other birders
                          Canada Warbler 9/13 at Usal
                          On 9/14 a goup of us were on a very successful Pelagic Trip with Ron LeValley and Rob Fowler and organized by Karen Havlena.
                          That was a very neat trick that Rob did; not wanting to drive that miserable road out to Usal he instead discovers another Canada Warbler at a much more convenient location. Congratulations. Jerry White

                        • white-jerry
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 21, 2008
                            September 18,19, and 20th:

                            Thursday September 18th:
                            Sooty Grouse; on Mountain View Rd @ about 7:15 am a little bit east of milepost 8.13.
                            Chestnut-sided Warbler; on Duxbury Road; possibly the same bird as Friday September 12th.
                            Baird's Sandpiper; juvenile @ Garcia River. Only sandpiper as it was at high tide.

                            Friday September 19th:
                            Vesper Sparrow; Usal, in the grasslands near the beach. New bird for Usal.
                            Song Sparrow; Westport Headlands, a Song Sparrow on steroids. Very large compared to our regular Song Sparrows and a very dark bird.
                            Upperparts and head dark chocolate-brown. Underparts heavily streaked and mottled with chocolate-brown.
                            Was probably M.m. morphna found from central Oregon to SW British Colombia (breeding range).
                            Clay-colored Sparrow; found on the east side of Highway 1 @ Chadbourne Gulch.
                            MacGillvray's Warbler; @ the same location. Same bird Karen Havlena found the day before.
                            Black-and-white Warbler; on the west side of Highway 1@ Chadbourne Gulch. Immature bird.

                            Saturday September 20th:
                            BROWN THRASHER;seen as I was looking down from Highway 1 @ the Hardy Creek willows. The bird came up to the top of the willows and then dove back in. Best bird of the trip.
                            Clay-colored Sparrow; @ the Wesport Headlands.
                            Red Crossbill; Caspar Cemetary. 20-30 birds? Making a whole lotta noise. Jerry White

                          • white-jerry
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 29, 2008
                              Thanks to Karen for posting and notifying everyone about the birds she and I found the past few days.

                              I had a brief glimpse of what I thought was a possible Virginia's Warbler yesterday on the trail on the east side of Highway 1 at Chadbourne Gulch. So as Karen mentioned in her post these birds could well move up and down the creek if they stay for more than a day.
                              On Sunday morning at about 7:25 AM a Fox ran across Highway 1 from the town of Westport to the Westport Headlands. Jerry White

                            • white-jerry
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 5, 2008
                                Friday October 3rd & Saturday October 4th.

                                On Friday morning at Usal I was able to find a pygmy owl, a Bobcat and a BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER before the rain chased me out.

                                On Saturday at Lake Cleone there were 2 Greater White-fronted Geese and an AMERICAN REDSTART.
                                Jerry White