Lewis's Woodpecker

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 6, 2010
      Good Evening Birders:

      Today I visited Burris Lane in Potter Valley. Near the east end of the road at the pond overlook, there was a Lewis's Woodpecker. It was on a fence post directly across from the wide out where you park. It was the fence post just west of the bush. When I finally got out of the truck, it flew across the road to the south side and went into an oak tree just south of the closest power pole. It stayed there for awhile and then flew down to the large oak (still on the south side of the road) closest to the end of the road. It flew back and forth between those two trees. This was from about 1:15 to 1:40 pm on Wednesday. The bird appeared to be about half way in between an adult and a juvenile. Either that or it was molting.

      Some of the other birds included: Say's Phoebe, Lark Sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Western bluebirds, Amer Wigeon, etc.
    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 13, 2010
        Saturday - 13 Nov ember 2010 - A Lewis's Woodpecker along University Road on
        the UC- Hopland Research and Extension Center, about 200 yards north of
        "Vassar Corner, and about 100 yards north of the vernal pool pond which is
        on the west side of the road. In the oaks adjacent to a wide pullout on the
        east side of the road. Wood Ducks were on the vernal pool pond this morning
        also. US Border Collie Handlers Association sanctioned sheep dogs trials
        also going on all day today and tomorrow and the public is welcome to watch
        .just follow the signs. food available. Good birding. Bob Keiffer.

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 30, 2011
          Jack Booth just called me to say he saw a Lewis's Woodpecker on the the Boonville Road (Hwy 253). The bird was about 400 yards past the McGrath place on the road bank. This is going east to west, after you get up on top, you will see a house with a gate off to the right, go about 400 yards past the gate.

          Dave Bengston for Jack Booth
        • Robert Keiffer
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
            22 September 2012 - Saturday - Last Saturday I saw an adult and an immature Lewis's Woodpecker to the east of Burris Lane in Potter Valley. Although flying over private property, the birds would have been "spottable" with binocs from the high view point at the end of Burris Lane by looking north over the open oak/savannah type area. Also seen were two Say's Phoebe's. Good Birding. Bob Keiffer

            [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
            Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
            4070 University Rd.
            Hopland, CA 95449
            707-744-1424 ext. 112
            Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00

          • Robert Keiffer
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 24, 2013
              24 October 2013 - Thursday - This morning I saw one lone Lewis's Woodpecker while driving to work on University Road east of Hopland. It was on the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center at the top of the Vassar Grade (the steep climb on University Road). It was flying north, but then alighted atop a blue oak tree. In past years lone LEWO or very small groups have wintered in localized spots on HREC. If that happens with this bird, and the finding of it is predictable, I will post again. Good Birding. Bob Keiffer rjkeiffer@...<mailto:rjkeiffer@...> Oh ... I also had an adult bald eagle carry a fish overhead near the HREC entrance sign at the "bottom" of Vassar Grade.

              [Toolkit_Email_Sig_WIN]
              Robert J. Keiffer - Superintendent
              4070 University Rd.
              Hopland, CA 95449
              707-744-1424 ext. 112
              Office hours: Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00

            • gchaniot
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 1, 2015
                Wed, 30 Sep 2015 -- About 4 PM today there was a first-year LEWIS'S WOODPECKER at the end of Burris Lane in Potter Valley. It was on the wooden power poles beyond the gate and conspicuously hawking insects from the oaks near the pond.
                This is the first of the fall for me. They are quite variable year to year at this location. We'll see what this winter brings.

                George Chaniot
                Potter Valley, MEN, CA
              • gchaniot
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 28, 2015
                  Wed, 28 Oct 2015 -- For several weeks now there has been a LEWIS'S WOODPECKER near the pond at the end of Burris Lane in Potter Valley. It frequents the "upside-down oak", a tree whose crown snapped off and landed upside-down.

                  George Chaniot
                  Potter Valley, MEN, CA