Clear Lake and Borax Lake

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2010
      On Sunday the 26th, Doug and Erika Weidemann and I censused waterbirds around the perimeter of Clear Lake from a motorboat. Unfortunately we didn't see anything unusual, but we were pleased to find that more than 30 nests of Aechmophorus grebes were still active, many nearly a mile from shore. Our best birds were at Borax Lake, where we saw two BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS, a BLACK-NECKED STILT and a LESSER YELLOWLEGS. Surprisingly we didn't see any peeps.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA
    • Floyd Hayes
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2014
        This morning we saw two AMERICAN AVOCETS at the northern tip of Austin Park and two FORSTER'S TERNS at Redbud Park in Clearlake. At Borax Lake we saw two SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS, a RED-NECKED PHALAROPE and 195 WILSON'S PHALAROPES, nearly all at the north end of the lake.

        Floyd Hayes
        Angwin, CA

        Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone