migrating White-throated Swifts

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2010
      16 September 2010 - This morning at 10:30 AM I was surprised to see a large
      swift banking in front of my vehicle at eye level here at the UC-Hopland
      Research & Extension Center. My knee-jerk reaction of slamming on the
      brakes and fumbling for my binoculars revealed two White-throated Swifts
      flying 30 to 100 feet high over chaparral habitat with a western aspect.
      The elevation was 1770'. Strangely, the one bird seemed to be heading
      north, however, as they dropped in elevation they were back-dropped by hills
      and vegetation and I lost track of them after about 30 seconds. I have
      seen fall-migrating Black Swifts here in years past at similar elevation,
      but there was no mistaking the white flanks and light underparts on these
      birds despite the brief view. I believe this the first record of
      White-throated Swift for the UC-HREC. Good birding. Bob Keiffer