Re: Solitary Sandpiper in Albion

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
      Just added a photo of this bird to the folder "Albion Birds" on this
      Group's page, in case anyone wants to see the color variation I was
      talking about. If you were looking at this bird with Sibley's in hand,
      you might have a difficult time matching it up.
    • Jim Lomax
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
        That might be because it is a Pectoral Sandpiper.

        Jim Lomax

        On Sep 15, 2010, at 6:32 PM, AlbionWood wrote:

        > Just added a photo of this bird to the folder "Albion Birds" on this
        > Group's page, in case anyone wants to see the color variation I was
        > talking about. If you were looking at this bird with Sibley's in hand,
        > you might have a difficult time matching it up.

      • jarlyus
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
          4/5/11
          I guess these ever-more-common doves don't know that they are non-native and thus unprotected.
          I have at least two pairs nearby that coo-COO-coo loudly and incessantly starting at about 5 AM every morning.
          At least starlings and House Sparrows are smart enough to stay quiet that time of day.
          I seem to not hear the more pleasant calls of Mourning Doves so much any more. I wonder if there is a connection.

          Jim Armstrong
          SE Potter Valley
        • Tim Liguori
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
            FYI - we've had well over 20 show up the last two summers and now thru the winter. But this winter, red-shouldered hawks are showing up for a hardy meal.
            And I'm seeing more around town this year.

            Perhaps the RS hawks are increasing to help with the balance?

            Regards,

            Tim Liguori
            Fairfield, CA
            Blackberry'd from Tim Liguori