Solitary Sandpiper in Albion

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2010
      Sunday Sept 12, 2010 - A juvenile SOLITARY SANDPIPER visited the little
      pond just outside our living-room window this morning around 10. It
      stayed a few minutes, just long enough to snap a few photos, before
      winging off to the south. This bird's back was brownish-grey, with
      white edges to most of the feathers, making it look quite different from
      the dark grey bird pictured in Sibley's. Feathers were clean, sharp,
      and bright, like a brand-new bird.

      I reported a SOSA at the same location two years ago on Sept 5.

      Cheers,
      Tim Bray
      Middle Ridge, Albion
    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
        Just added a photo of this bird to the folder "Albion Birds" on this
        Group's page, in case anyone wants to see the color variation I was
        talking about. If you were looking at this bird with Sibley's in hand,
        you might have a difficult time matching it up.
      • Jim Lomax
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
          That might be because it is a Pectoral Sandpiper.

          Jim Lomax

          On Sep 15, 2010, at 6:32 PM, AlbionWood wrote:

          > Just added a photo of this bird to the folder "Albion Birds" on this
          > Group's page, in case anyone wants to see the color variation I was
          > talking about. If you were looking at this bird with Sibley's in hand,
          > you might have a difficult time matching it up.

        • jarlyus
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
            4/5/11
            I guess these ever-more-common doves don't know that they are non-native and thus unprotected.
            I have at least two pairs nearby that coo-COO-coo loudly and incessantly starting at about 5 AM every morning.
            At least starlings and House Sparrows are smart enough to stay quiet that time of day.
            I seem to not hear the more pleasant calls of Mourning Doves so much any more. I wonder if there is a connection.

            Jim Armstrong
            SE Potter Valley
          • Tim Liguori
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 5, 2011
              FYI - we've had well over 20 show up the last two summers and now thru the winter. But this winter, red-shouldered hawks are showing up for a hardy meal.
              And I'm seeing more around town this year.

              Perhaps the RS hawks are increasing to help with the balance?

              Regards,

              Tim Liguori
              Fairfield, CA
              Blackberry'd from Tim Liguori