Lake Mendocino Sep 6-7

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2002
      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 -- I spent most of the morning birding around the north end
      of Lake Mendocino and went back and to the south marina with Chuck Vaughn
      on Saturday. The lake level has fallen to 720 feet, and, for those who
      haven't been there recently, there is quite a bit of mud appearing at the
      Russian River inlet and near Coyote Dam and the south marina. At the inlet
      the mud is firm, and you can walk quite a ways out on it. There are a few
      shorebirds and ducks arriving now, and these areas bear watching in the
      next several weeks. You can view the inlet in the best light by driving
      down the inlet road, parking near the port-a-pottys, hopping the rail, and
      walking out to the west. Some Caspian Terns have been sitting on the mud,
      along with several wigeon, pintail, and teal among the mallards. A female
      Hooded Merganser has been around several weeks going through eclipse molt -
      rather unusual for the period.

      George Chaniot, Potter Valley, CA

      Pied-billed Grebe 2
      Western Grebe 80
      Clark's Grebe 4
      Great Blue Heron 5
      Great Egret 3
      Snowy Egret 1
      Canada Goose 68 quite a few for this date
      Green-winged Teal 1
      Mallard 120
      Northern Pintail 1
      American Wigeon 1