Orchard Oriole -- Westport Headlands Park, MEN

  • K A Havlena
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2010
      Tue & Wed, 7-8 Sept 2010 -- A female/immature ORCHARD ORIOLE was
      seen briefly yesterday in bright sunlight by Jerry White and Chuck Vaughn,
      but they did not get really satisfactory looks at the bright yellow and lime
      green bird with a short tail, short, slightly decurved bill, and two wide, white
      wing bars.

      This morning the coast was blanketed in dense fog.  As I was driving north
      on Hwy 1, I saw Jerry's car at the Vista Point at mm 74.09.  He was close
      by and had just encountered a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH.  The important
      news was that he saw the ORCHARD ORIOLE again in the drippy fog.  The
      bird was wet, so the colors did not show as well.  I'm sure glad he told me
      that fact!  When I arrived at the Westport park, I saw the bedraggled oriole
      just
      at the top of a stand of berry bushes.  The short, lime green tail and the
      wing bars were correct.  I could also see the bill shape and the fact that it
      was not long and more narrow, like a Hooded Oriole.  The face and body
      feathers were indeed wet, so I did not get good color on the bird.  Both
      Jerry and I agreed that this bird was not a Hooded Oriole since it wasn't
      elongated enough, the tail was definitely short, the two, well-marked white
      wing bars, and the bill all point to Orchard. Jerry was much happier with
      this second look at the bird and is comfortable with the call.  Also, even
      though for several years there has been a few Hooded's that summered in
      Westport, I have not noticed them for a couple of years.

      The Westport Headlands Park is on the west side of Hwy 1, across from the
      Westport Hotel.  The bird has now been seen almost everywhere in the small
      park in the tall shrubs.

      For Jerry White

      (by, Karen Havlena)