Sooty Grouse ; and trip to Usal

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2010
      On the morning of Tuesday August 31st while driving on Mountain View Road there were 2 grouse; 1 about 1/4 mile or so east of milemarker 9.25 and another about 1/4 mile west of that same milemarker.
      A total of 16 Mountain Quail were seen on the trip over.
      Later that day there was a Baird's Sandpiper on Virgin Creek Beach.

      On Wednesday September 1st I made a trip to Usal. Did not turn up any hoped for early vagrants but there were some other birds(and weather) of interest. There was a Northern Mockingbird in very worn plumage.
      For the last several years I have been keeping a list of all of the birds recorded at Usal; and on this day I found 4 new birds for that list including a Northern Pintail, a Snowy Egret, a juvenile Black-crowned Night-heron, and a female Lazuli Bunting.
      As for the weather, at around 10:30 AM a very strong warm easterly wind kicked up and the temperature soared to 79 degrees (the warmest I have ever recorded out there) and then within about 50 minutes or so it dropped back down to 67 degrees.

      The rest of the day was spent on a chase trip to see the AMERICAN AVOCET. A bit of "useful" information in case anyone ever again needs to know; it took 2 hours and 8 minutes to drive from Usal to the parking lot at the Water Treatment Facility in Ukiah. Jerry White