9/2 Merlin at Ten Mile & Musings on 9/1 Long-billed Curlews

  • K A Havlena
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2010
      Thur, 2 Sept 2010 -- On my Ten Mile beach survey this am, a MERLIN
      flew past me at about 12-ft above the beach. I believe this is a FOS, at
      least it is for me.

      Earlier in the morning, Jim Havlena saw a SNOWY PLOVER on Seaside
      beach.  I'm sure it was forced to move to another spot a short while later,
      because of the dogs people bring to this beach.

      -------------
      I would like to add my comments to Becky Bowen's account of the
      Long-billed Curlews & Marbled Godwits that flew north from Ward Ave
      to Ten Mile River for a short rest.

      I stood for 30+ minutes on the bluff above the mouth of Ten Mile River.
      As I was about to give up, while walking up to Ocean Meadows Circle,
      I heard, "Cur - lew?  Cur - lew?"  At first, I could not see the birds,
      but I looked up and there were the curlews and godwits, flying in
      small circles like swallows.  They were at least 50+ feet up.  I called
      Becky that it had been about 1/2 hour since she called me.

      Hurrying home, I took the scope and drove south to the Ten Mile R.
      bridge.  There were 7 L-B CURLEWS and 4 MARBLED GODWITS.
      They only rested on the shore for approx. 35-40 minutes.  Then,
      one or two of the curlews started calling loudly and repeatedly.  The
      group took off and flew NORTH, once again.  George thought they
      were searching, unsuccessfully, for a suitable feeding area.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, California