Long-billed Curlews at Ten Mile Beach

  • Becky
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2010
      This afternoon at Ward Avenue, I spotted at least 6 LBCU flying north at an altitude of about 50 feet. There were at least three birds behind the lead 6. The noise was a racket. I figure I spent at least three minutes cursing and carrying on because I couldn't get my camera up and focused, plus another two minutes to fumble with my phone. According to the phone read-out, I called Karen Havlena at 3:08 p.m. and told her the birds were headed her way (Ten Mile River--approximatley 5 miles north). Karen later confirmed 7 LBCU and 4 MAGO at Ten Mile River (they flew north again shortly after that). After several calls back and forth, Karen and I decided to trust George Chaniot's superior mathematical abilities. Taking into account distance, speed, wind, and whatever else intelligence requires, he figured the birds were traveling at approximately 7.5 mph--thus satisfying our never-ending mission to find out how and how fast shorebirds get from point A to point B.