tagged Turkey Vultures

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2010
      23 August 2010 - Last week while driving to Ukiah my wife spotted a tagged
      Turkey Vulture along Hwy 101 near the "Strawberry Stand" on the south side
      of Burke Hill. Unfortunately we did not have time to turn around to read
      the number on the patagial wing tag. This is one of the TUVU's banded by UC
      Davis researchers a couple years back, many of which were tagged at the UC
      Hopland Research & Extension Center. If anyway happens to see one of these
      birds, please try to read the number on the tag and either post the sighting
      or contact me directly. Thanks . and good birding. Bob Keiffer
      rjkeiffer@...

    • Robert J. Keiffer
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 21, 2010
        15-16 October 2010 - Last weekend two tagged TURKEY VULTURES were reported
        to me. Helen Menasian reported TUVU # 68 from Redwood Valley near the RVOEP
        (10/15) and Monte LaDelle reported (10/16) that TUVU #79 has been hanging
        around their home just east of "Old Hopland" along Hwy 175. It has also
        been reported to me that another is in the Robinson Creek drainage but the
        number is unknown at this time. These are all TUVU's with large round white
        patagial (on the wing) tags with large black numbers on them. The numbers
        are fairly easy to read with binoculars either in flight or perched.

        These are all birds that were tagged at the UC-Hopland Research & Extension
        Center in the late summer of 2008 as part of a state-wide study on heavy
        metals in avian scavengers (TUVUs, ravens, and golden eagles).

        Keep in mind that recent TUVU patagial tagging has taken place on the Hoopa
        Tribe lands in the Humboldt/Del Norte region .but these tags are yellow in
        color.

        Please notify me of any tagged TUVUs observed and I will forward the
        sighting to the appropriate researchers. Good birding! Bob Keiffer
        rjkeiffer@...