Early Waterfowl and the Caspian Terns

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2010
      Fri-Sat, 20-21 Aug 2010 --  Toby Tobkin has noticed early ducks arriving with
      the N Shoveler at Caspar Pond (Sat) and a N Pintail at Hare Creek on Friday.
      Also, the Gtr White-fronted Goose at the UWTP last week (CEV) seemed to
      be early.  Maybe it summered in a somewhat local spot and is just now getting
      the urge to move on.  Jim just arrived home from Minnesota, where he noted a
      lack of ducks for mid-August.  He did see a pair of Eastern Kingbirds in West
      Minnesota three days ago (and they are supposed to be regular, early migrants).
      It is a different type of year.

      I talked with Becky about her 82 Caspian Terns flying south along Ten Mile
      beach.  I saw at least half of them from my living room window.  In just a
      few minutes Friday afternoon, I saw about 45 CATEs flying by heading south
      towards Becky.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, CA