44 Caspian Terns - Ten Mile

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14 6:59 PM
      Sat, 14 August 2010 -- While crossing the Ten Mile R. bridge today, I spotted a
      large group of gulls and terns on the sandy, south shore west of the bridge.
      With my scope I counted (3 times) a total of 44 CASPIAN TERNS, and over
      60 CALIFORNIA GULLS.  That is the largest group of Caspian Terns I have seen
      in Mendocino County.  That is probably not a record number of CATEs for MEN,
      but it's more than I usually see on Ten Mile (river & beach).  I checked
      carefully,

      but there were only the two species present in the group.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, CA