Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 160 , Aug 12, 2010
      On Tuesday the 10th, Doug Weidemann and I explored Long Tule Point along the west shore of Clear Lake by canoe. Although we didn't find any grebe nests, we saw a LEAST BITTERN, a juvenile WILLET (found by Doug) in an unusual habitat--standing at the edge of the reeds--and a MARBLED GODWIT (found by Doug) flying overhead.

      At Borax Lake we were joined by Nick Shepherd and saw six WILSON'S PHALAROPES, two LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS and two LESSER YELLOWLEGS. We couldn't relocate the SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER but didn't have much time to look at the peeps, because a gentleman who owned the land politely asked us to leave so we couldn't sue him if we got injured. It was the first time in dozens of visits that I had ever been asked to leave, so be aware that it might happen to you if you hike out to the shore of the lake. Luckily Nick found a SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER in the morning and showed me some excellent photos that he had taken.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA
    • stevestump
      Message 160 of 160 , Nov 15, 2014