Purple Martins at Ten Mile Bridge

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2010
      8 August 2010 - Purple Martins have been seen consistently along University
      Road east of Hopland throughout this summer period (June, July) and into
      early August. PUMA have been at this location in late summers/fall in prior
      years, but this year we have confirmed at least two active nests. I saw one
      adult carrying a large insect into a power pole cavity just last week, and
      another power pole has a probable nest confirmed by the female dive-bombing
      me. We actually suspect possible second-nesting (this season) in the one
      cavity. There have been as many as 10 birds confirmed at one time. It is
      great to have this species nesting in the inland part of the county with the
      only other past inland nestings that I know of were at 1) a power pole on
      the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center, and 2) near the Eel River Bridge
      near Van Arsdale Dam.

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer