Re: [Mendobirds] Least Bittern

  • Bob Keiffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2010
      8 Aug 2010 - I spoke with Jessica about her recent post of a Least Bittern
      at the USTP. After discussion with Jessica we soon determined that she had
      recalled a recent post on Mendobirds of a Least Bittern (however, it was
      Clear Lake, Lake County, on July 31st) and she made the mistake of thinking
      it was from the Ukiah Sewage Treatment Plant (USTP). Jessica wishes to
      retract her post admitting that she jumped to conclusions a little too
      quickly and most probably observed a Green Heron, perhaps an immature.

      I would like to point out that birding is a skill that is honed by personal
      interest, reference checking and experience. None of us start out as
      "expert" birders, and we are all constantly learning more about the bird
      species and their likes and dislikes for habitat use. I certainly wish to
      encourage all birders to post unusual sightings as quickly as possible to
      Mendobirds as I would rather track down a few mis-identified birds in order
      to immediately know about that one, new, rare species that shows up in the
      county. So I encourage such postings, not every common bird that you see
      (that is what Ebird is for) but by all means the less common, unusual,
      out-of-place, out-of-season, first-migrant arrivals, etc. And thanks to
      Jessica for understanding the situation.

      The Mendocino County Bird Records Committee reviews all first and second
      observation records of a species found in Mendocino County (we automatically
      accept records of the California Birds Records Committee (CBRC) for birds on
      the state "review" list) Go to http://www.californiabirds.org/ for more
      information where you can search for the rare "review list" Mendocino County
      records.

      Good Birding. Bob Keiffer