Purple Martins at Ten Mile Bridge

  • Erica Fielder
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2010
      Dear Birders,

      Today I counted 15, and possibly 17, purple martins on the telephone wire and on a lowland fir snag next to my house. They obviously had success raising young in the cavities built into the new Ten Mile Bridge for martins and bats. This is great news since I counted only 6 birds last year.

      Erica

      For more information on interpretive panels
      created in Erica Fielder Studio, please visit:
      http://www.ericafielder-ecoartist.com

      For information on the Bird Feeder Hat
      Interpretive Project, and how to make your
      own Bird Feeder Hat, go to:
      http://www.birdfeederhat.org

      Erica Fielder Studio
      P.O. Box 1075,
      Mendocino, CA 95460

      707-964-1467

    • Bob Keiffer
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2010
        8 August 2010 - Purple Martins have been seen consistently along University
        Road east of Hopland throughout this summer period (June, July) and into
        early August. PUMA have been at this location in late summers/fall in prior
        years, but this year we have confirmed at least two active nests. I saw one
        adult carrying a large insect into a power pole cavity just last week, and
        another power pole has a probable nest confirmed by the female dive-bombing
        me. We actually suspect possible second-nesting (this season) in the one
        cavity. There have been as many as 10 birds confirmed at one time. It is
        great to have this species nesting in the inland part of the county with the
        only other past inland nestings that I know of were at 1) a power pole on
        the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center, and 2) near the Eel River Bridge
        near Van Arsdale Dam.

        Good birding. Bob Keiffer