Lake County

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 160 , Aug 7, 2010
      On Friday the 8th, Doug Weidemann and I joined the Barnwells to check up on two large nesting colonies of WESTERN and CLARK'S GREBES at Rodman Slough--one a few hundred yards north of the bridge in the slough, the other on floating mats of algae on the lake several hundred yards south of the mouth of Rodman Slough. Karen Barnwell pointed out to us a LEAST BITTERN about 100 yards north of the bridge at Rodman Slough.

      Later in the day Doug and I birded Borax Lake where we saw 17 CINNAMON TEAL (one with a slightly shorter bill and more contrasting face may have been a BLUE-WINGED, but we weren't convinced), one SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER, seven WILSON'S PHALAROPES and 11 hungry AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS.

      Doug and I found another large colony of nesting grebes in Anderson Marsh. Between Redbud Park and Anderson Marsh we saw two BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS in a novel habitat--standing on floating mats of algae in the middle of the lake! Four CASPIAN TERNS were flying around the area.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA
    • stevestump
      Message 160 of 160 , Nov 15, 2014