Rufous-crowned Sparrow nest

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2010
      29 July 2010 - While collecting native grass seeds for a researcher in one
      of the ungrazed units of the UC-Hopland Research and Extension Center I
      happened across a Rufous-crowned Sparrow nest with about 1-week old
      nestlings. I discovered the nest by seeing one of the adults leave the
      nest. Even though nesting has been confirmed in the past by several
      observers watching adults feed fledged young, this is only the second actual
      nest ever documented in Mendocino County. The first was also at UC-HREC
      last year, but at a much lower elevation.

      The nest is in an area dominated by blue oaks with broken canopy and mainly
      a grass understory of native bunch grasses and exotic annual grasses.
      Within 10 feet in any direction the understory is 100% coverage mainly
      dominated by annual grasses, but where the nest actually occurs is within a
      small area of maybe 20% ground cover, and that is comprised of spsarse
      native bunch grass clumps. The nest is tucked under the edge of one of
      those clumps. Aspect is WSW (hot exposure) and slope is about 35% and
      elevation 2100'.

      Good birding. Bob Keiffer