Lake Co

  • John Luther
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2010
      Birded at Borax Lake today in Lake Co.  The lake is a short distance north of
      the town of Clearlake.  During two visits to Borax Lake today I saw 4 Wilson's
      Phalaropes, a Pectoral Sandpiper, a Baird's Sandpiper, 3 Semipalmated Plovers,
      Killdeer and about 50 Least and Western Sandpipers.  These birds were all at the
      south end of the lake on the peninsula that goes north into the lake.

      John Luther
      Oakland

    • John Luther
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 17, 2012
        Hey Birders,

        Jerry White reported one of my favorites birds in Lake Co yesterday so this
        afternoon I headed up 101 to Ukiah and then to Potter Valley and Eel River Rd
        which becomes Elk Mt Rd at the Lake Co line.  Don't go this way unless you like
        a very dusty, very slow, very washboardy road.  The good part was no other cars
        and the best part was a SOOTY GROUSE on the edge of the road about half way
        between the Lake Co line (there is a sign at the county line) and the next paved
        road which is the continuation of Elk Mt Rd.  When I reached the pavement I
        turned right and quickly came to the bridge over the Eel River.  I looked from
        the bridge for a while, but then decided to walk down to the river as I did not
        see the bird I was looking for.  Soon after reaching the river on the west side
        of the bridge an AMERICAN DIPPER zipped by me flying upstream towards the bridge
        with a second one flying after it and giving off noises that sounded like
        begging calls.  I assume that the second bird was a young following an adult.
        The first bird landed on a rock in the middle of the river under the bridge.
        Much nicer drive home having seen two great birds in Lake Co.  I took Elk Mt Rd
        to Upper Lake which was longer, but more relaxing.

        John Luther
        Oakland

      • John Luther
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2012
          I decided to take the long way home (about 5 hours instead of 30 minutes) from
          having my oil changed in my jeep in Walnut Creek and saw that the Long-tailed
          Duck and Surf Scoter continued in Lake Co at Lakeport Monday Dec 3.  I saw them
          in the afternoon looking north and east from the pier at the east end of Third
          St.

          John Luther
          Oakland