South Coast Shorebirds

  • Rich T
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2010
      Gualala River to Alder Creek

      Rich Kuehn and I did an informal shorebird survey starting at the Gualala River and working our way as far north as Alder Creek. We had a single GREATER YELLOWLEGS at Cook's Beach which is accessed off road 526 across from St. Orre's restaurant. At several pulloffs along Highway 1 we saw WANDERING TATTLERS (a surprising total of at least 10 for the day), BLACK OYSTERCATCHERS, SPOTTED SANDPIPERS and BLACK TURNSTONES. At Hearn Gulch Beach we had a single RUDDY TURNSTONE. At Alder Creek beach there were many KILLDEERS, a few SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, a small flock of WESTERN SANDPIPERS and what must have been a small group of SANDERLINGS in alternate plumage that, due to their relative apparent size and bright red coloration, had us initially thinking Red Knot (not).

      Good Birding,

      Rich Trissel
      Gualala
    • Rich T
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 23, 2010
        Garcia River & Manchester Beach

        This morning, Rich Kuehn and I birded the beach from the end of Stonboro to the mouth of the Garcia River. There were good numbers of WESTERN SANDPIPERS, SANDERLINGS, SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, along with a few LEAST SANDPIPERS, a WHIMBREL, and 4 BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS.

        In the lagoon at the mouth of the river there were 15 LONG-BILLED CURLEWS, 2 MARBLED GODWITS, 3 WILLETS, KILLDEER, about a dozen BLACK TURNSTONES flew over, and 2 SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS.

        Feels like migration has finally started in earnest ...

        Good Birding,

        Rich and Rich
      • K A Havlena
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 23, 2010
          Rich and Rich --  Thank you, over and over, for the comrehensive reports from
          the SW corner of Mendocino County.  Seeing 15 LONG-BILLED CURLEWS is
          wonderful.  The largish groups (relatively speaking) of migrating species
          recently is very interesting.   I just did a cursory review of the SOS shorebird
          surveys at MacKerricher SP, Fort Bragg and north.  I only saw one Long-billed
          Curlew so far, but I could have missed one or two.  Thanks again.

          Please keep birding these SW locations,

          Karen Havlena