UWTP birds 7/25

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2010
      Greetings Mendobirders- Barbara and I met Cheryl Watson and Geoff
      Heinecken at the Ukiah Wastewater Treatment Plant this morning for some
      birding around the oxidation ponds. There were some birds of local
      interest. An adult m NORTHERN PINTAIL, already in mostly basic plumage,
      was on the north pond. The 4 GREATER SCAUP (2 m, 2 f), which have spent
      the summer out there, were still present. An adult f RUDDY DUCK was
      leading 6 downy young around the middle pond. Cheryl and I have seen them
      previously on July 18. This is the only place they are known to breed in
      Mendocino County, and this is the fifth consecutive year they have bred
      successfully there. There were 16 SNOWY EGRETS around the edges of the
      middle and north ponds. This is the largest number we remember seeing
      inland. They were accompanied by a juvenile BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON,
      another locally rare bird in the summer. Finally, there was a LESSER
      YELLOWLEGS on the edge of the north pond with the usual assortment of
      peeps. The only shorebird habitat out there presently is along the edge of
      the north pond. I think that they have given up on their efforts to drain
      the south pond, so mud is at a premium.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482