More Coastal Shorebirds- ELTE -Ten Mile Beach, MEN

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2010
      Thur, 22 July 2010 -- Two ELEGANT TERNS were on the beach north of
      Inglenook Creek mouth with a small flock of gulls.  They were agitated by
      the incoming tide and flew in low circles, landing and circling.  After a
      few minutes, the terns flew north into the light fog.  Perhaps they will be
      in Humboldt Co tomorrow.

      Six unbanded SNOWY PLOVERS were just north of the symbolic fenced
      area.  This is about 200 yards north of the Ward Ave ramp, Cleone.  One
      RUDDY TURNSTONE was nearby.  Three CASPIAN TERNS flew south
      near this spot.  About 2-miles north at Inglenook Crk mouth, I saw two
      LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS.  They were so tame, I had a difficult time
      getting them to call.  (Actually, one was definitely a Long-billed, while
      the other could have been a Short-billed -- it never called and was molting).

      Interestingly, this morning had only 11 WHIMBREL during my entire 4+ mile
      walk on Ten Mile beach.  On Tuesday, I saw 47 Whimbrels!!
      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn came over from Ukiah to look for some of the
      above-mentioned shorebirds.  I told them I thought Tuesday's WHIM count
      was in the high '20's, but it really was 47. What a difference in only 2 days.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, CA