Shorebirds at Borax Lake

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2010
      Shorebirds are sporadically visiting Borax Lake in Lake County, which has excellent habitat--unlike Clear Lake, which has high water levels. On Thursday the 8th I photographed a partially-molted adult BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER as it circled the lake a couple of times. Unfortunately I did not see it land. I also flushed a CINNAMON or BLUE-WINGED TEAL. On Friday the 9th, Doug Weidemann and I tallied 3 GREATER YELLOWLEGS, 110 WESTERN SANDPIPERS and 15 LEAST SANDPIPERS. However, yesterday the 13th we saw only about a dozen distant peeps.