Black-throated Green Warbler

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2010
      Sun Jul 11, 2010--"Toby" Tobkin and I went to Russian Gulch to try for the BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER (a Mendocino first record) seen on the 2 previous days. We got there fairly early but still found Chuck Vaughn coming down the trail from his brief but successful viewing as we were going up. I heard the warbler even before we got to the correct spot (see previous postings). We caught up with Ruth Rudesill a Sonoma County birder who also heard it. The bird then went silent for sometime. Jim and Karen Havlena joined the group and with the sun coming out the warbler started singing again and all the group finally got fair looks at the bird. We all left a little after 11:00 AM. The warbler was always high in the trees so take a neck pillow with you if you're going to try it.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River
    • gashawk@mcn.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2010
        At 6 pm this Sunday I was distracted from my chores by the song of a
        Black-throated Green Warbler. The bird sounded off for 2 or three minutes
        and I was not able to locate and observe it by eye. Being a former east
        coast birder I am confident of the identification.

        Good Birding
        Gunn. Caspar