Mountain Birding

  • Rich T
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10 1:17 PM
      Covelo, M1, Spruce Grove

      Jim & Karen Havlena and I headed up to the mountains via Covelo and had a very successful outing.

      We met at Willits at 7a and drove to Covelo stopping along the way at the favorite bridge of the WHITE-THROATED SWIFT near Dos Rios on 162. The first swift was seen within a couple minutes and at least 2 birds were present. We then headed up towards the mountains stopping along the way to check for CANYON WREN along the middle fork of the EEL River near the Eel River Campground. And, just as Jerry reported, we heard a single bird calling to the north across the river from the end of the trail. It took about 15 minutes to finally hear the bird.

      Our first stop on the way up M1 was prompted by a small bird flitting across the road. It ended up being unidentifiable but we did find a DUSKY FLYCATCHER right next to the road. We continued on up and again stopped for a flying bird that ended up being the first of several WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKERS. Also, on our way up we saw and heard at least 2 GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES.

      At Spruce Grove Campground we finally saw and heard MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES which were unusually scarce on the way up. Around the campground area we saw 2 TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRES, a CASSIN'S FINCH, a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER, and 2 HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHERS. WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKERS were common and active at the campground.

      On our way down we were stoked to have a young (first or second year probably) Black Bear directly in front of us in the middle of the road. Evidently Jerry doesn't have exclusivity on bear adventures and, unlike Jerry, we were not intimidated as we neared the bear. OK, we were in a car. Whatever.

      Good Birding,

      Rich and Karen and Jim