Mendocino Co. - 3 Jul 2010

  • Kathryn Parker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2010
      Finally got up to Mendocino Co. today to see the INDIGO BUNTING at
      the end of Comminsky Station Rd. just north of the Sonoma-Mendocino
      Co. border. He did not fail me. I saw him in the large live oak on the
      east side of the road. Also there were 4 BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHERS.
      Then, following the excellent directions on birding the Mendocino
      National Forest put up by the Peregrine Audubon Society of Ukiah, I
      birded along Etsel Ridge and M1. Even though it got fairly warm, and I
      didn't get up there until 10:00, I had a great time. At Grizzly Flat,
      new for me were the RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES. FOX SPARROWs were singing
      the entire day, and WESTERN TANAGERS were everywhere. At Mp 17.2,
      there was the first of many MOUNTAIN CHICKADEEs and a NASHVILLE
      WARBLER. I found the first GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE at Mp 18.4 and a
      calling DUSKY FLYCATCHER at Mp 24.5. 2 LINCOLN'S SPARROWS were at Mp
      25.9 and Spruce Grove had a pair of WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKERS and 1
      calling and 2 silent, but probable, HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHERS. A male
      PILEATED WOODPECKER flew down the road into Spruce Grove in front of
      my car.
      I had to turn back after Spruce Grove as I had a long drive home.
      On the way back out, I stopped to try and find a bird I had seen fly
      across the road. A Red-breasted Nuthatch set up quite a racket and a
      male GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET came in to see what all the fuss was
      about. The last bird was a male MOUNTAIN QUAIL that darted from the
      road as I drove by.

      Kathy Parker
      Los Gatos