Canada Geese

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2010
      This probably displays my ignorance, but what I just discovered on Caspar Beach goes a long way toward explaining the success of Canada geese. All spring, I have been checking on the progress of two pairs of Canada geese, who have been co-habiting a quiet stretch of Caspar Creek, just below Pt.Cabrillo Drive. One pair produced 4 goslings, the other pair two. Some weeks ago the 4 were reduced to 3, but now all 5 are looking very much like adult geese. So 9 adult "looking" Canada geese continue to share the creek, nearly always in two family groups and can be found on the creek just west of Highway 1. The last couple of days none of them was in evidence, possibly for the first time all spring. Today I noticed they were back, but with two brand new fluffy yellow goslings. They seem to be the offspring of the pair that successfully raised 3 others this spring. I must say, I didn't know they could do that! Is this common?
      Susan Tubbesing