Mendocino National Forest/ Spruce Grove etc.

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15 11:01 AM
      Yesterday I travelled up to the high mountains of Mendocino County entering from Lake County on roads M6 and M61. I was stopped by snow drifts on M61 about 1 mile or so from Bald Mt and road M1. From there I walked to M1 and then south to Spruce Grove. M1, besides a number of snow drifts, also had several trees down across the road. There were also trees down on the Spruce Grove entrance road.

      Birds of interest seen and or heard on the trip were; Dusky Flycatchers, Green-tailed Towhees, White-headed Woodpeckers, and heard only on the walk in and the walk out was Northern Goshawk.

      Some other birds were Hermit Warblers, Fox Sparrows, Mt. Chickadees and Townsend's Solitaires.

      Just after arriving at Spruce Grove (hoping to find Hammond's Flycatcher) I heard some loud noises from the forest on the far side of the meadow. Not long after a bear walked out onto the meadow heading in my general direction. I decided the flycatcher hunt would have to wait for another day. Jerry White