Black Swift - N Fort Bragg - Brant, Also Seen

  • K A Havlena
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2010
      Thur, 3 June 2010 -- Early evening, while returning home from Ukiah and
      environs, I spotted a flock of VAUX's SWIFTS over the field across Hwy 1
      from the former "Fushiarama" (north of Virgin Ck and south of MacKerricher
      SP main entrance).  It was barely drizzling, so I stopped and got out of the
      car.  Happily, I watched a single BLACK SWIFT flying low.  That was the
      2nd MEN County bird I saw today!

      Luckily, I went to Ukiah having made plans with George Chaniot to venture
      up to Red Mountain Camp hoping to see or hear a GREATER ROADRUNNER
      where Jerry White had seen one.  We almost made it to the camp when
      Geoff Heinecken called about the LEAST TERN.  We turned around and went
      directly to the UWTP, seeing Chuck and Jerry driving away.  We got great looks
      at the tern after only a couple of minutes.

      George had to leave, so Geoff and I went back up Mill Creek Rd and walked
      out Trail 8.  Fortune was NOT with us, no Roadrunner seen nor heard, and
      when arriving back at the car, there were my car keys on the seat inside
      the locked car.... thank goodness for cell phones.  On the other hand, I
      may not have seen the Black Swift had we not had to wait for the AAA
      truck to drive up the mountain and save us.

      Also, the 2 BRANT were still west of Ten Mile R. bridge late this afternoon.

      Karen Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, CA