Tufted Puffin

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
      This morning (Sun 9/1) at 1100 there was an alternate plumaged adult
      TUFTED PUFFEN feeding off the Mendocino Headlands. The bird was in the
      water just north of the parking lot for Goat Rock (in line with the
      Cabrillo Lighthouse). The bird dove frequently during the 30 minutes I
      watched it but on a couple of occasions stayed on the surface for
      several minutes.

      Only other bird of note this morning were three SNOWY PLOVERS at Virgin
      Creek Beach. They must have arrived recently as there were none there
      last weekend.

      - Matthew Matthiessen
    • Jessica Morton
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11, 2003
        Sunday morning about noon, a bit to the northeast of Goat Rock, I had
        good views of a Tufted Puffin in summer plumage bobbing in the ocean.
        --
      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2007
          Sat, 09 Jun 2007 -- Dorothy Tobkin reports finding a TUFTED PUFFIN at the
          Mendocino Headlands this morning. First it was in the water north of the
          northmost island. Then it began flying and flew to a burrow on the north
          face of the northmost island. This is a new burrow location in this area.

          George Chaniot posting message for Toby
        • richhubie
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 15, 2007
            Today at 12:46 PM I found the Tufted Puffin that Toby reported back on
            the 9th of June. It was almost exactly where she said she saw it. Just
            east of the northern most island off the Mendocino Headlands.

            Richard Hubacek