Covelo area birds

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2010
      Greetings Mendobirders- George Chaniot and I birded the Highway 162 and
      Covelo areas today. Birds of local interest included an AMERICAN DIPPER on
      the Main Fork Eel River along Highway 162 at mm 10.20. In Round Valley
      there were 2 GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS in the hay field just N and W of the
      Diamond H Ranch headquarters. We proceeded into the Mendocino National
      Forest and found the CANYON WREN on the Middle Fork of the Eel River just
      north of the Black Butte Campground reported previously by Jerry White (see
      Mendobirds messages # 3772 and 3774 for directions). The highlight of the
      day had to be the spectacular aerial displays of at least 10-12
      WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS at the Highway 162/Dos Rios Bridge. These birds are
      best viewed from the N side of the bridge on the Dos Rios Road.

      Chuck and George

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...