Sad News - dead Bald Eagle

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2010
      10 May 2010 - I am saddened to tell you that last Friday a neighboring
      rancher informed me of a dead mature bald eagle in their vineyard. I
      investigated and found it almost directly below a power line that had very
      close spacing between the lines. I know that this bird was accustomed to
      power poles and lines as I saw it fly to the top of a power pole two days
      prior to its death. This mishap looked like a mid-span collision .as I
      could see an abrasion line on the feathers of one wing .and at this point I
      am almost certain this was the cause of mortality.

      DFG has been notified as has the appropriate wildlife biologist with PGE
      (who must report to USFWS). I have worked with PGE in the past and the
      company has been very good about retro-fitting power lines and poles to
      insure that such raptor mortalities do not take place in that area in the
      future.

      UC-HREC has hopes of obtaining a special "USFWS Salvage" permit to retain
      the specimen for educational purposes.

      I am very disheartened by this event as I had hopes that the pair of bald
      eagles that had spent much time here in February/early March may actually be
      nesting in the local Hopland area. If that is the case, I hope the
      remaining parent can successfully rear the young, which should be hatched by
      now. This is all in theory however, as a nest has NOT been found to date.
      Good birding. Bob Keiffer