A Few North Coast Sightings

  • Rich T
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2010

      Hello -

      Yesterday, I did a little birding up the coast.

      The Long-tailed Duck, reported a few days ago from the cove at Van Damme, was seen at about 10a.

      The 1st cycle Glaucous Gull originally found by Toby at Glass Beach and then seen later by Jerry and Chuck at MacKerricher on 26 April was seen at about 10:30a in the gull flock that was on the rocks 200 yards or so north of the parking lot for the point boardwalk.

      At Lake Cleone, I happened to meet Toby and she told me she had just seen 11 Long-billed Curlews and 3 Ruddy Turnstones (among other shorebirds) at Virgin Creek beach. 15 minutes later, still at MacKerricher, her Curlews flew by with about 20 Whimbrels.

      At Virgin Creek beach another Long-billed Curlew was seen at about noon. Also there was a male and a female Harlequin Duck.

      Good Birding,

      Rich
    • Lisa Walker (Feather)
      Message 2 of 2 , May 7, 2010
        Today I spotted a pair of Semi-Palmated Plovers in breeding plumage, two Dunlins and a single Western Sandpiper at Ward Ave / Ten Mile area. No sign of Snowy Plovers.