recent CBRC acceptance

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 5:39 PM
      30 April 2010 - Today, Richard Hubacek notified me that the Western Field
      Ornithologists (WFO), California Bird Records Committee (CBRC), has recently
      reviewed and accepted two of Mendocino County's (MEN's) most recently
      submitted observations: The Galapagos/Hawaiian Petrel seen by some and
      photographed by Dave Nelson on the 23 August 2009 pelagic trip (9 miles off
      Fort Bragg) has been accepted as a Hawaiian Petrel and I am assuming that
      this distinction was totally based upon characteristics shown on Dave's
      photograph. This is the first time that one of one of these Pterodroma
      complex birds has been determined to a certain species in our
      county.probably due to recently determined and understood (by the experts)
      plumage characteristics that differentiate the species. The other four
      prior sightings in our county were accepted as birds within the
      Galapagos/Hawaiian Petrel complex.

      The 3 May 2009 Short-tailed Albatross has also been accepted by the CBRC .
      making it MEN's first accepted record for this rebounding species. The 31
      July 2009 observation off Gualala, with photographs, was also accepted but
      the sighting was just barely into Sonoma (SON) County waters. There are
      earlier and later radio-telemetry records of tagged Short-tailed Albatross
      moving through MEN waters, but thus far I do not believe that it has been
      determined how the CBRC is going to treat such radio-telemetry records.

      Also, of interest on the "table of records" is the acceptance of the fall
      2009 Hudsonian Godwit observations (discussed earlier) from MEN where it
      shows acceptance of 4,1,2,and 1 birds (I interpret this as being a total of
      8 different individual birds .which is significant since there have only
      been 40 accepted records for the state).

      I noticed that the "Query the CBRC Database" link has NOT been updated yet
      to reflect these recent reviews. However, the "Rare Birds of California"
      link, under "Table of Records updated through 29 April 2010" does show the
      current updates. Here is the link:
      http://www.californiabirds.org/cbrc_book/update.pdf

      Good Birding. and thanks to Richard. Bob Keiffer