North Coast Report (Sat Aug 24)

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2002
      Today I scoured the north coast hoping to refind some of the rarities
      reported in recent days. Unfortunately I didn't find anything
      exceptional but there were a few sightings of note.

      At Glass Beach a flock of 18 MARBLED GODWITS flew over heading north.
      At the San Juan Creek overlook were a pair of MARBLED MURRELETS. There
      were 27 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES on the Westport sewage pond. One LESSER
      YELLOWLEGS was at the Caspar Creek outlet. And three BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS
      were at Navarro Beach. The only tubenoses I saw all day were two SOOTY
      SHEARWATERS seen from the Mendocino Headlands.

      Good birding.

      - Matthew Matthiessen