Yellow-throated Vireo

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2002
      Greetings Mendobirders: I found a Yellow-throated Vireo at the Hopland
      Research and Extension Center at noon today, August 23. The bird was seen
      along a pond edge and an associated dense willow thicket just west of the
      road into the Center. To reach the pond, drive up the hill until you reach
      a redwood sign on the east side of the road that reads "Vasser Corner
      Experimental Area". Drive another 0.1 mile past this sign and you will see
      a small pond below the road to the west. There are yellow-striped plastic
      ribbons tied to a tree on the west and a road marker on the east side of
      the road to mark this location. The road marker is also now crowned with a
      green surgical glove. You can park at various pull-offs along the road in
      this vicinity. I had a brief look at what I am now quite certain was this
      same bird a week ago. Hopefully it will stick around. It is a real
      skulker so it may take some effort to dig out. You are welcome to chase
      the bird, but please be advised that this weekend a small number of deer
      hunters will have access to the Center. You should have no problems if you
      confine your search to the pond and willows right below the road.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive
      Ukiah, CA 95482