Vaux's Swift observers needed

  • john_e_hunter@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2010
      Birders - We are looking for at least one person to help conduct Vaux’s
      Swift roost counts in the Arcata area as part of a multi-state project
      known as “Vaux’s Happening”. The person needs to be willing to commit for
      a few years to a minimum of two surveys per year (that’s it, one in May
      and one in September). The surveys involve all participating observers
      simultaneously counting swifts entering known roosts (either a chimney or
      hollow tree) at dusk. This swift is a California Bird Species of Concern
      and roost counts hold promise as a useful monitoring tool. If you are
      interested, please contact John Hunter at JHunter323@... for
      additional information on survey dates, methods, and roost location. We
      are also seeking any information regarding Vaux’s Swift migratory roost
      sites in northwestern California, especially those with good access for
      observers.
      John Hunter
      Arcata, CA