RE: Laysan Albatross "Al" history

  • Floyd Hayes
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5 10:35 AM
      Al aficionados may be interested in learning (unless you already knew) a few details about the oldest known Laysan Albatross. It was an adult with a chick (thus a minimum of 7 years old) banded by legendary USFW biologist Chandler Robbins on Midway Island in 1958. Amazingly it was recaptured by the same research--Chandler Robbins--in 2002, giving a minimum age of 51 years.

      So if we--and Al--are lucky, we may be seeing Al for a few more decades.

      Floyd Hayes
      Hidden Valley Lake, CA