Ibis continues in PV

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19 4:01 PM
      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 -- The WHITE-FACED IBIS is still being seen on the edges
      of the vineyard pond at milemarker 1.33 on West Road, Potter Valley. Jim
      Armstrong saw it yesterday, and I have seen it several times today. It is
      an immature bird with dark eye and uniform, grayish-brown head and neck,
      cohort 2002. It is not always on this pond; I've made five spot checks
      today and seen it three times. Twice I have seen it fly to a nearby pond
      which is hidden from public view. It seems to be finding quite a lot to
      eat. Pastures nearby are being flood-irrigated today and look ideal. Maybe
      it will stick around. There is little room to pull off, so park in my
      driveway at 9430 West Road.
      Yesterday I spent many hours scoping to sea near Juan Creek looking
      for the Yellow-billed Loon without success. I did see 10 MARBLED MURRELETS
      there. The RED PHALAROPE was still at Virgin Creek beach sitting on an
      nearshore rock. There were at least 3 immature BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS on the
      beach.

      George Chaniot, Potter Valley, MEN, CA