Mendocino County on Thursday April 1st

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 10:15 AM
      On Mountain House Road there was a flock of Hooded Mergansers on a farm pond that is visible from the road. This is about 2.9 miles from Hopland. I first found these birds on March 15th.
      Also seen (or heard) were Chipping Sparrows and a Lark Sparrow.

      Between Hopland and Ukiah on Hwy 101 a flock of blackbirds included a number of Tricolored Blackbirds.

      At the Ukiah Treatment Ponds the most interesting birds seen were a Lesser Yellowlegs and a Vaux's Swift. The Vaux's Swift was with hundreds of swallows which included all 5 of the common species. The largest majority of these swallows were Northern Rough-winged Swallows, with good numbers of Tree Swallows.
      Other birds of general interest; Common Yellowthroats, Chipping Sparrows,and a Greater Yellowlegs. There were also 40-50 Yellow-rumped Warblers in the riparian corridor on the Russian River. Jerry White