Chukar - Lake County

  • dhecomovich
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2010
      Jerry White told me that this would be an escaped bird and not countable but interesting to see nevertheless. It was reported to me by Paul and Sue Bleuss, and they initially thought it was a Mountain Quail. This morning they called to say that, no, it was a Chukar. I went to their yard to check, and it, indeed, was unmistakably a Chukar. I believe it is a female. Although the black border on the throat is very pronounced,I do not believe it extends far enough to be a male. Sue said the bird has been hanging out with a covey of Quail for over a week.

      If anybody is interested in checking it out for the fun of it, the Bleuss residence is at 13529 Prather Road in the Adams Springs area off Hwy 175 between Loch Lomond and Cobb. If you are heading South on Hwy 175 you would turn left at the road that intersects Hwy 175 just below the steep grade past Loch Lomond. That is Adams Springs Road, but there is no visible sign. You proceed .2 of a mile turn R on Costello and then R on Prather Road.

      If you are coming from the Middletown North on Hwy 175 you would turn R on Adams Springs Road. Here there is a prominent green highway seen that indicates Adams Springs. (Adams Springs road is a loop road that interesects Hwy 175 twice.) Continue for .3 mi, turn L on Costello and L on Prather Road.

      I suggest parking in the area of 13355 Prather or just beyond that at Prather Court and walk up the hill to 13529. I located the Chukar with the covey of Quail in the manzanita undergrowth opposite the Bleuss residence.