Common Murres

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 26, 2010
      Hi all,

      I witnessed a phenomenal event this evening. As I was driving home from Fort
      Bragg I detoured slightly to watch the sunset over the Mendocino Headlands.
      I pulled off near the offshore rocks were we counted the cormorants last
      year. There were a few hundred murres flying around the island. I took some
      photos and then watched the sunset and then the amazing thing happened. At
      least a thousands of murres were wheeling about the rocks and landing at the
      site of last year's cormorant nests. I took some more photos in late evening
      sunlight and then switched to video. I'll have to share that with you some
      day when I can! When looking at the video, I noticed that there was a
      Peregrine eating something on the rock behind the murres! It was probably a
      murre (or hopefully a pigeon!).

      Cool sight at a cool site.

      Ron

      For a free natural history Picture of the Day in your e-mail, go to
      <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php>
      http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php

      For archives of past Picture of the Days, go to
      <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery> www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery

      Ron LeValley Photography
      P.O. Box 332

      Little River CA 95456

      707/937-1742

      Mendocino Coast Photographer Guild and Gallery
      344 North Main Street
      Fort Bragg California USA 95437
      Cell: 707/496-3326
      Gallery: 707/964-4706

      <mailto:Ron@...> Ron@...

    • Rick Harris
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18, 2011
        Saw a raft of about 75 to 100 COMMON MURRES northeast of Bird Rock yesterday. I'll bet many of these birds were fledged on Bird Rock and learned to fish in Agate Cove so it was a bit of a home coming for them. Seeing quite few common murres dribbling north in two and threes for the past few days.

        Rick Harris
      • birdmanofthewoods3
        Message 3 of 4 , May 24 8:28 PM
          The COMMON MURRES are finally setting up and nesting on Bird Rock off Mendocino Headlands State Park west of Mendocino (the northern pull out just before the road turns east). I haven't been checking lately and there they were. About 150 birds. They are on the far western rocks this year. Photo link to Mendobirds photo post below.

        • birdmanofthewoods4
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2013
            Watched yesterday as a large flock of COMMON MURRES coming out of the south came into Agate Cove just north of Bird Rock off the Mendocino Headlands in Mendocino. While common murres are not particularly gracefull when they land, these birds were dropping out of the air 10 to 20 feet over the water and making extremely awkward landings with great splashes. The impression was that they were very tired and just wanted to get on the water. They then formed a very tight perfect circle of over a hundred birds. I can't remember seeing that tight a packed circle on the water. The impression was one of utter exhaustion and relief. None landed on Bird Rock.