Mendocino National Forest

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25 9:44 AM
      On Tuesday March 23rd I birded the two mountain roads M3 and Mendocino Pass Road.

      On M3 about .5 miles from the Eel River Station (thanks to George Chaniot and Chuck Vaughn for information on this location) there is a pullout/parking area and a trail down to the Eel River. As I got close to the river I heard a CANYON WREN calling from the north side of the Eel. I had tried this same location on March 10th (in the snow) and was not successful. On that date I did see 2 Rock Wrens (and a Bewick's Wren) on those same rock cliffs.
      Later on March 23rd, about 8 miles up M3 I had a NORTHERN GOSHAWK.

      Other birds of general interest on the day were; 2 Townsends Solitaires on M3 and 2 more on Mendocino Pass Rd. A Cassin's Finch on M3. A small flock of Mt. Chickadees on each of the roads. Two Red-breasted Sapsuckers and 2 Pine Siskins at snow line on Mendocino Pass Road. Jerry White

    • Jerry White
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25 1:47 PM
        Correction; the Forest Service Road where I had the Canyon Wren and Northern Goshawk is M1.
        From the intersection at the Eel River Work Center you take the paved road that goes Northeast towards Hammerhorn Lake and Indian Dick. This road follows along the Middle Fork Eel River for a short distance.
        Jerry White