American Bittern in Mendocino County

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22, 2010
      Yesterday at the east end of Hunter's Lagoon in Manchester State Park I found (heard only) an AMERICAN BITTERN.
      It was first heard from the end of Barnegat Dr. To confirm I walked further east from that location.
      Later on the walk out to the Garcia River overlook, I came upon the 3 PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVERS.
      On the beach at the Garcia River there was a flock of 9 "Black" Brant with the gull flock. Other birds of interest were first of the year arrivals (for me) Allen's Hummingbird and Barn Swallow. Jerry White

    • AlbionWood
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 22, 2010
        Allen's Hummingbirds have been terrorizing my place since mid-February.
        There was a big increase in numbers about 2 weeks ago. It's hardly safe
        to go outside right now. Saturday one tried to drink from my shirt (red
        patches in the plaid), then tried the (red fabric) wallet my wife was
        holding, then tried the (orange) AWD letters on the side of my van.

        Last Wednesday (March 17) there were Tree Swallows at MCBG, and the
        Sunday before that (March 14) we saw Violet-Green Swallows (ID by Toby)
        during the Van Damme birdwalk.

        Cheers,
        Tim Bray
        Middle Ridge, Albion