Hummingbirds, again

  • jarlyus
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20, 2010
      While my Anna's numbers have increased a little, along with feeder use, I have been seeing quite a few Allen's and Rufous hummers here in SE Potter.
      These are not earliest records, but it is the first time I can remember the Selasphorus guys' outnumbering the Anna's.
      Jim Armstrong
    • jarlyus
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2016

         I have gone from curious to somewhat concerned to very worried about the disappearance of all hummingbird activity around my place in southeastern Potter Valley.

        I have fed nectar here for 44 years and might as well throw away my mixing jug.

        I have had no use of my feeders and no sighting of any kind of hummer for at least a month.

        I thought to begin with the early blossoming of shrubs and trees was providing a natural alternative to sugar water, but daily scoping of every one of them has turned up nothing.

        I hope to hear that this is not continuing to be widespread.

      • Kitty & Creek Norris
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2016
          Our dozens of hummers are gone, but that is fairly to be expected. We often have 3 or 4 individuals stay over the winter with us, but this winter we have had only one that comes and goes. We expect they will be back in a mob mid March, as usual - only a couple weeks. When they do, they really let us know about it. If not, we’ll presume they are all snowbirds who will return when the weather suits them. They are, after all, temperamental little people. We’ve taken down the one feeder we kept up for that one male. He showed up at 11 am last week to display briefly in the garden, then left immediately and has not been back that we’ve noticed.
          Kitty
          SW of Willits at 3000'
          On Mar 8, 2016, at 4:43 PM, jimarm@... [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

           I have gone from curious to somewhat concerned to very worried about the disappearance of all hummingbird activity around my place in southeastern Potter Valley.

          I have fed nectar here for 44 years and might as well throw away my mixing jug.

          I have had no use of my feeders and no sighting of any kind of hummer for at least a month.

          I thought to begin with the early blossoming of shrubs and trees was providing a natural alternative to sugar water, but daily scoping of every one of them has turned up nothing.

          I hope to hear that this is not continuing to be widespread.

        • Karen
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 8, 2016
            Tue, 8 Mar 2016 -- On the coast we have both Anna's and Allen's (selasphorus) hummers.

            Rim is at a perfect location to receive Manu hummingbirds.
            He can give the best coastal details.

            Karen Havlena
            Fort Bragg 'Ca
            Receive

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Mar 8, 2016, at 4:43 PM, "jimarm@... [Mendobirds]" <Mendobirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

             I have gone from curious to somewhat concerned to very worried about the disappearance of all hummingbird activity around my place in southeastern Potter Valley.

            I have fed nectar here for 44 years and might as well throw away my mixing jug.

            I have had no use of my feeders and no sighting of any kind of hummer for at least a month.

            I thought to begin with the early blossoming of shrubs and trees was providing a natural alternative to sugar water, but daily scoping of every one of them has turned up nothing.

            I hope to hear that this is not continuing to be widespread.

          • Sarah Flaim
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 8, 2016
              We finally got a big groups of mostly Allen's and Anna's back this week and as I posted earlier that was the longest we'd gone with none, even in winter!  They are coming back slolwy... Hope you see them soon😃

              Sarah, PT
              Sent from my iPhone

              On Mar 8, 2016, at 4:43 PM, jimarm@... [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

               I have gone from curious to somewhat concerned to very worried about the disappearance of all hummingbird activity around my place in southeastern Potter Valley.

              I have fed nectar here for 44 years and might as well throw away my mixing jug.

              I have had no use of my feeders and no sighting of any kind of hummer for at least a month.

              I thought to begin with the early blossoming of shrubs and trees was providing a natural alternative to sugar water, but daily scoping of every one of them has turned up nothing.

              I hope to hear that this is not continuing to be widespread.

            • Tim Bray
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 8, 2016
                At my place here on the coast, the number of Anna's Hummingbirds dropped off a few weeks ago and right now we have far fewer than usual.
                The Allen's Hummingbirds that first arrived on 24 February have now overrun the place, there are dozens of them chasing each other around.  One less though - as we were eating dinner at dusk, a Sharp-shinned Hawk took one right off the feeder.
                We also have at least one Rufous Hummingbird; not sure when it arrived.
                And a few days ago I was pretty sure I saw a Black-chinned, it had the white collar on its chest and no red on the forehead that I could see, but conditions were poor and I couldn't get a definitive look at its throat.
                --
                Cheers,
                Tim

                Posted by: jimarm@...