Common Moorhen continues at Lake Cleone

  • richhubie
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2010
      Tue Mar 16, 2010--This morning I was able to easily find the COMMON MOORHEN that has wintered at Lake Cleone. It was the only bird except for one coot visible at the West end of the lake. Note that the parking lot is still closed. Best to park at the visitor center. Also found 3 "singing" ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS. The first I've heard this year. Also had 2 WOOD DUCKS which I haven't seen there in some time.

      At Virgin Creek Beach (Rocks, there's not much beach left)I was able to find a ROCK SANDPIPER amongst a large flock of BLACK TURNSTONES (60+). Also had 2 (male and female)HARLEQUIN DUCKS which I haven't seen much this winter. In fact I finally found 2 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS which have been absent there since the storms.

      Richard Hubacek
      Little River