Red x Slate-color Fox Sparrow - Ocean Meadows MEN

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2010
      Fri, 5 March 2010 -- Today there was a vagrant FOX SPARROW that
      had characteristics of both the Eastern RED and the Canadian SLATE-
      COLORED races.  It was NOT just a P.i. zaboria.

      If you look in your Sibley guide, he shows an intergrade between Red and
      Slate that hybridizes in the Canadian Rockies.  The spotting on the white
      breast and belly was really RED!!!  The auriclulars had a wash of red over
      gray/brown.  The mantle was very smooth gray, as was the crown and nape.
      There was some reddish on the wings, the rump and dorsal side of the tail.
      The bill showed very little difference between the upper and lower mandible,
      DULL, not yellow/pink.

      I sent two awful pics to Bob Keiffer.  It was very cloudy, and I had to take
      the photos from my "low-e" tinted windows.  Neither Jim nor I saw it this
      afternoon.  I'll look again in the morning.

      Karen & Jim Havlena
      North of Fort Bragg, MEN, CA