South Coast birds 2/20

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2010
      Greetings Mendobirders- Yesterday 8 Peregrine Audubon members travelled to
      the South Coast for a day of birding. We started at Arena Cove...alas no
      "Al". We did see some nice birds in the cove, however, including BRANT,
      PEREGRINE FALCON, RHINOCEROS AUKLET, and 25+ BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES
      swirling just beyond the buoy. We walked out to the Garcia River mouth and
      among several hundred gulls found 2 GLAUCOUS GULL: a first-cycle bird, and
      a second cycle individual molting in contrasting pale gray back
      feathers. Three PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVERS continued at the Lighthouse
      grounds. Scoping the Brush Creek area from Bristol Road, we saw 51 TUNDRA
      SWANS, 3 more BRANT, 7 CACKLING GEESE, 3 CINNAMON TEAL, and 2 TREE
      SWALLOWS. On the bluffs above Alder Creek we had long looks at a very
      accommodating FERRUGINOUS HAWK. We meandered north up Hwy 1 ending the day
      at the mouth of the Navarro River.

      For a more coherent account of the trip, and a complete checklist, check
      out George Chaniot's field trip report at peregrineaudubon.org.

      Chuck

      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      Ukiah, CA 95482